Tuesday, March 3, 2009

There is a rumor Spring is coming....

Spring means the trade deadline - just a day or so away. I'm not a big fan of the deadline and all the hubbaloo about it. Honestly, I'm worried about some players I like moving and that sorta upsets me. Screw families relocating and friendships, certain players shouldn't move because I said so! Ok, ending my Vercua moment. And for your random thought of the day - verruca is "is part of the hpv viruses with some types causing cervical dysplasia." Thanks Wiki!

Will JayBo go? (hope so) Will the Wings stand pat? (hope not) Will Vinny go to the Habs? (not sure I care one way or the other) I'm sure we'll have more details as the next few days go on. But please for the love of GOD, will someone trade for Billy Guerin? I'm sick to death of hearing the Billy watch. Suicide watch would be more entertaining right now. Ok maybe I'm just sick.

The hockey gods are not smiling much on a few of my teams currently. Sure, the Guins are rocking the win column without The Kid, but the Slugs are not doing so hot. They will get Tommy Vanek back on Wednesday and they might have the services of Max AfinsomethingRussianov if he's not been traded. I'm not saying he should go, but please, a bag of pucks would be worth more than Max right now.

Is there any team sadder than the Colorado Avalanche right now? It is actually painful to watch them (and not just because they were on Versus either). A major shake up is needed but only a few people really know if that's gonna happen. As much as I've enjoyed seeing Raycroft this year, he's not the answer. Their hot mess of a defense hasn't found an identity (are they a shut down D or are they mobile puck carriers - most nights, they can't figure it out.) and their forwards are no where near consistent. Come Thursday morning, that could be a very different team. Hopefully for the better.

Hard to say what Pittsburgh will do. I do like the pick up of Kunitz but think they need just a tweek more. Do I think Armstrong is the answer? Probably not, but if it kicks number 87 into gear, I'm all for it. USSGill is probably gone. Too bad, I like him a lot (but maybe not since Whitney was moved). This is why I'm not a GM; I'd go with my heart more than my head.

Tonight on Versus (barf) the Guins play the Ning. To be honest, I'm sorta glad it's on Versus (barf) because as much as I complain, I really don't like the Tampa announcers and I could use a break from the Pens guys (I wanna put a cork in Bob most nights).

Interesting little bit over at Puck Daddy about the Don Cherry/Ovechkin celebration comments. I'm not a fan of Ovechkin's (nor of Cherry's either) and I think a valid point is being made. Keeping in mind I'm of the old school thought of 'act like you've been there before' Barry Sanders (remember him?) scoring motion, there is nothing wrong with celebrating your goals, but really a little goes a long way. Hug the boys and get to the bench or center ice.

Also on that point, if Steve Ott, Chris Neil, Sean Avery or any other of the leagues douchebags were to take runs at player like Ovechkin does, they would be out games.

Moving on to better things. It appears that Ethan Moreau will not require surgery to repair his damaged eye. While I did not see the game where he was injured, I saw replays of it and part of me gets angry. Even the trainer admits that a visor would have probably prevented this injury. When are the players going to look past the 'only pansies wear visors' theory and start protecting themselves? They wore face protection in juniors or college and they are required to wear certain protective equipment now, so why not visors? I don't understand it (and spare me the argument that they players can't see with them on - many of the top goal scorers in the league wear 'em so that doesn't float).

Just checked - no trades yet. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Carroll said...

wow, even the coach is now starting to see problems with the over celebrations, but disagreed the other day that Ovie goes over board. (bi-polar?)

http://onfrozenblog.com/2009/03/03/boudreau-what-the------are-we-doing.html

Lisa said...

Wow, thanks for the link Carroll.... I guess it's ok when Bruce says so but not when anyone else says so? I thought that sort of thing was just reserved for mothers (I'll bitch about her all I want, but don't you dare!). :)