Friday, February 27, 2009

Go West Young Man!

So... the Penguins and the Ducks made a trade yesterday. Ryan Whitney was sent to Anaheim in exchange for Chris Kunitz and baby Duck and OHL forward Eric Tangradi.

As a fan of both teams and someone who has seen lots of Duck games, I think this is a good deal for both teams. Neither one was a salary dump, neither one is a sign that their GM is giving up and no one had to give up a draft pick.

Kunitz is a player that should have no problems playing on Bing's wing, giving him a body guard, and he can help clear space for others or go to the net himself. He's also not afraid to go toe to toe with someone as well as doing his own hitting and dirty work in the corners which they sorely need.

Reading the Pens site, Chris is happy about the trade and wants to help the team with working their way back into the top 8 so they can make the playoffs.

Our friend Whit should fit in well with Les Canards especially with two of the very best on D with Scottie and Pronger. We've seen that Ryan has the talent, I think he just needs someone to help support him in getting back in the program. I mean, as much as I love Brooksie, not having Sarge in the lineup for most of the season hurt them both without a lot of veteran presence on the blueline.

Ryan too sees this as a positive thing, or that is what he's telling the press; but I think it really is good for him. Scott Niedermayer is one of the very best at what he does and if he pays attention, Whit should come back to his old form.

And up here in the NW division, I just got an update from the Canucks that they have claimed Ossi Vaananen off waivers from the Flyers. Hopefully he didn't pick up too many puppy drowning tricks.But it will be good to have a little more backup on the D, except that there are a couple of really good ones down in Manitoba that should be given a chance like our good pal Shaun Heshka. I think if Hesh got called up, I would be so happy; but maybe they wanted to give Sami Salo a Finn teammate since there's so many Swedes. lol

Anyway, that's about it here in the upper left corner of the country. Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Carroll said...

I wish Ryan all the best of luck out there in the West. I think the guys we got in return can be a good help for now and in the future.
I didn't know much about Kunitz but he is looking sharp so far. I like him with Jordan but really want to see what he can do with Sid (I really hope they have chemistry).

I am a big fan of Eric Tangradi, and think he will be a major asset down the line.

Carroll said...

yay, my comment finally works. Thanks Lisa for removing the word verification!

Keep up the great work ladies.

Lisa said...

Carroll - YAY! I'm glad it worked! :)