Thursday, March 12, 2009

When will this god forsaken season end?

Pop quiz time, who thinks that question in my title this morning? If you say the Colorado Avalanche or New York Islanders, I'd give partial credit (however if you said Ottawa Senators you'd get no credit, because seeing them have a crap season just warms my heart - despite them sticking it to the Sabres when ever they want, but I digress).

No the correct answer would have been...ME and the season I'm talking about is Winter. It snowed again last night. I realize it's March in the Mitten and I'm ok with that. But seriously, when I told a friend (in North Carolina) it had been 25 she asked f or c? I had to laugh. Sadly the answer there is f. As in fail.

Not a lot of puck action that I paid attention to last night (I'm sure Amy will talk about the Ducks and Nucks game as her heart is being repaired from being torn in 2), but tonight all but two teams play and some good games are to be had for the taking.

Panthers v Buffalo
I'm sure Lindy at some point this week has either called Ryan or stared him in the face and asked about his ankle. When Ryan said no go, I'm also fairly certain Lindy gave him the eyeball and said, "Are you positive?" Man, I think tonight is a tell tale game for the Slugs. They gotta start beating teams ahead of them (and beating teams behind them won't hurt either). I hate to say this but Lindy might be taping up Ryan's ankle and tossing him out there no matter what if they lose this game tonight.

Penguins v BlueJackets
Both teams are in 6th right now and both looking to move up before it's all over. I think they can do it if they keep playing the way they have been (well, not just showing up in the third might help the Pens more). Personally, I'd love to see the Jackets in the playoffs. They can finally shake that 'last team in the league to be in the playoffs' tag and depending on who they get, they could do some damage. I also think the same could be said for the Penguins. How entertaining would a Pens v Craps opening series look?

Carolina v Dallas
Oh gee, who to root against in that one. Can't they just skate to a tie and no one gets any points?

Speaking of points, an interesting thing has come up in the last couple of days on NHL Live (on the NHL network - if you don't have it, try to get it). Yesterday was sort of a continuation of a theory that a win should be two points and the other team gets nothing. No one point for getting it to a tie/shootout, nothing. Jimmy Dowd was all over it yesterday and I gotta say I agree. None of this three point game business. If the league is interested in scoring more, you might see a very different third period of games if its tied and there are two points on the line.

Another idea being tossed about is that for a tie breaker count regulation wins versus total wins. Kenny Holland brought that one to GMs meeting. I like this one as well. Then again I hate the shoot out and ties. There you have that.

Today there is an article in the Buffalo News about Richard Zednik's injury from last season. I saw him playing in the Pittsburgh game the other night and saw he doesn't wear neck protection. I was shocked. But I guess that's how he gets back on the ice - keeping that fear down.

And this is all I have. Until next time!

No comments: