Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Random drug induced rambling

Good morning from the Left Coast... well, it's morning anyway and I'm buried under my desk in my cube sucking down OJ and popping Dayquil. :) And Lisa said pretty much what I would have if I were up that early; so insteat I want to give a big ole shoutout to my main men aka the Vancouver Canucks.

I have been a fan of the Canucks ever since I can remember, mostly because of locale as Vancouver is about a 2 hour car ride from here. They weren't that great since when if they did qualify for the playoffs they were promptly ousted by one or the other teams from Alberta; but I loved Steamer and Harold Snepts and even Tiger Williams. Then in the 1988 draft, they had the 2nd pick and they chose a tall skinny kid from Medicine Hat, Alberta; and I was hooked line and sinker.

When the 1988-1989 season started, I watched as many games as they showed in the days before Center Ice and all the cable channels, which weren't that many, even with the start of the double header of HNIC starting that season; but still I believed and finally in 1994 it seemed that the dream of that shiny cup was going to come true. Well, even with a super human effort by the Captain and Pasha Bure and Captain Kirk; it just wasn't in the cards for my boys. I didn't know it at the time, but two men on the other side of the Cup celebration would be responsible for so much unhappiness for me and other Canuck fans a few years later.

You know those days you will always remember no matter how long ago.... you know where you were and how you felt, etc. Well, February 6, 1998 and November 10, 2001 will always be those days since they were the days that Trevor got traded away then traded back. Those almost 4 years without Trevor were so hard for me to be a fan... I was angry at the front office, I elevated my intense dislike for Messier and Keenan to an all out hate; and if it wasn't for Markus Naslund and Todd Bertuzzi showing the signs of the beginnings of the West Coast Express, I would have had to cut a bitch.

But to make a long story even longer, through good times and bad, I have never not loved this team. There have been many times where I have not liked them and felt they needed a kick in the nards; but they will always be my boys and last night was one of those games where I was so proud of them. They were on the road and down late in the 3rd period to a division rival who also needed those two points; and they manned up and got it to OT then won it in the shootout. I guess I was just a little pleasant surprise after the long long slump they were in last month; and I admit that I was on the "Why did we sign Sundin?" list for a while. Obviously, I was very uniformed on how good he could be; but then I could give a rat's ass about the Leafs so I sort of have ignored him forever.

I'm not sure if there was a point to this post other than say to my beloved Canucks that I love you guys and good luck on your road trip this weekend!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Your nuck love is almost unmatched :) It's so lovely. I hope you are feeling better too!