Saturday, February 21, 2009

my version of the baby boys

While Amy has her junior boys to watch, around these parts, there are more college hockey teams than you can shake a stick at - so the CCHA is where I get my kid hockey fix.

Went to a game last night - watched the MSU Spartans face off against the Falcons of Bowling Green. After watching that game, I can understand why both teams are fighting to get out of last place in the CCHA. Bless them, they try so very hard, but just don't seem to have the talent of say a Michigan or a Notre Dame.

Do you need specifics? At one point in the third State had an almost full two minute 5-3 and didn't score. Just a few minutes after that, they had another lengthy (like a minute 45) 5-3 and yeah, didn't score and gave up a couple really solid short handed chances. But from our vantage point (right behind BG's bench) I got to watch my new favorite college hockey player. His name is Brandon Svendsen. Now from the name on the back, I was slightly disappointed to learn his name is Brandon and not something like Bjorg, but I digress. He played the first 5-3 and didn't leave the ice after it. He was off for a shift while BG racked up two more penalties and then went back out to kill off the second 5-3. Basically, State was facing a guy who was gassed and couldn't get it by him (he was the one with the two shorty chances to boot). I thought they were gonna have to give him oxygen on the bench after that but he only missed a shift. Color me impressed...he was, to me, one of the best players on the ice last night and clearly BGs best player.

Also searching around this morning to see to what team Jeff Lerg had been drafted (Kevin, my buddy who I went with last night, and I were thinking Toronto but didn't have a basis for that fact other than they need goaltending and it sounded right). We were wrong. He's undrafted. Granted, he's short (5.6 Daren Panger size), has asthma, and is a 4.0 student....oh he also has broken all sorts of records and stuff like that. But he remains undrafted. That's gotta be discouraging.

I have honestly no idea what happened in the NHL last night so I won't even bother checking. I did hear something about Chris Osgood being sent home, a la Kovelev, but don't know the details for now (I should go check that out because odds are, Mom will ask about it when I go over there today).

That's all for now. But gotta remember to set the dvr for an early game and a later one too (and now that I just checked the time schedule, I see that both Detroit and Colorado won last night. Hurrah!)

No comments: