Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hello there! It's Tuesday and the sun has decided to return to the Great Northwest and I am very excited about this. It's a good welcome for our new coach here in Everett and his press conference this afternoon. I just wish I could get downtown to see it; but I'm sure there will be a good write up in the Herald and from our good pal Su over at her great blogs, The Daily Su and her blog over at KING 5.

One thing I was surprised to see but not shocked about was that Chris Chelios will not be offered a contract by the Red Wings. I'm surprised that Kenny didn't do this earlier; but maybe he thought that Cheli would retire on his own since he's 500 years old. No such luck, so the Wings decided to cut his playing time; and that did nothing to deter him. So, they just made the decision for him. [Edit by Lisa The Wings have seen the light!!!] Supposedly Cheli thinks he wants to play another year; but I wonder which team would shell out the money for a player that is a shadow of his former self in regards to his talent when for the same or less money they could get a nice young guy who will actually play more than 20 games.

Haven't heard anything on the Hall of Fame list; but maybe that will be announced later this afternoon. Steve Yzerman, Brett Hull and Luc Robitaille are all waiting by the phone along with guys like Brian Leetch, Alexander Mogilny and Dave Andreychuk. I would be shocked if the first three aren't there; but the other that I really hope to see go is Brian Leetch. In as much as I still hate him a little for helping take the Cup from my Trevor in '94, he did have a stellar career and helped bring hockey to a lot of American kids. I would love to see AlMo too; but he might not go this year.

Anyway, Lisa had some more to say about the Dany Heatley goings on; but I can't remember what she said so maybe she'll be by later to give her two pesos on that.

Today's Boy of the Day comes to us from the Patrick Division and he's a fine combination of brains, brawn and beauty; which is hard to find with a lot of fighters. Following a successful junior career with the Kitcher Rangers of the OHL, he went undrafted and was signed as a free agent by the New Jersey Devils in August 2005. Our boy first played with the Albany River Rats of the American Hockey League in September 2005; then went on to play the majority of the 2006–2007 season with the Lowell Devils before being a late season call-up to New Jersey. He's been there ever since; and was invited to play in the YoungStars game in Atlanta last year where he scored a goal and two assists. And who is this tall blondish and yummy boy? I present David Clarkson...

No comments: