Friday, June 19, 2009

Boy did we blow those predictions or what?

I was gonna get all creative and assign points to Amy's and my predictions but that would involve some brain power that I just don't have this morning. So I'll recap instead:

Norris Trophy, top defenseman
We both picked Lidstrom. We were both wrong. Chara walked away with it. Strike one (but it was a swing and a miss as I at least picked Big Z as "a close second).

Calder Trophy, rookie of the year
We both picked Mason and what do you know we both got it right!

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy, most gentlemanly player
Again, another correct one (even if Amy didn't sound too convinced). Pavel Datsyuk is your winner (his 4th)

Vezina Trophy, top goaltender
Timmy Thomas (who got sorta choked up accepting - which I like). We both got Tim right. Hurrah.

Selke Trophy, top defensive forward
I should have gone with my first instinct and picked Dats to win for sure. That will teach me for picking a Flyer. FAIL! Dats takes this home too. Point for Amy!

Hart Trophy, NHL's most valuable player
Ovie takes it. (personal note: BLECH). We both figured correctly here.

Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey
Missed this by a country mile. Who would have thought almost dying on the ice and playing again would get you second here? Steve Sullivan wins. We both picked Zed (and darn it, he SHOULD have won!)

Jack Adams Award, top NHL coach
Claude, the winner, was never even considered by either one of us. Shows what we know.

NHL Foundation Player Award, commitment and service to charities
Everyone wins here because they are all great guys. But Amy and I picked the winner in Rickey Nash. Too bad he wasn't there but he has a good reason. He's in Scotland with his mum and grandmum. All together now, AWWWWW!

Lester B. Pearson Award, most outstanding player
See Hart. We did!

Mark Messier Leadership Award, player who exemplifies great leadership qualities to his team, on and off the ice, during the regular season
Jarome Iginla is a lovely choice for the award. Just not ours. And also, someone needs to tell Mess that he should never ever speak in public. Ugh.


Win some and you lose some. The draft is next. I have a feeling the top pick won't be a surprise (not that I'm picking which will go but I'm just saying, there are arguments for three or four different kids). Good luck to the Isles - no matter who they pick, their fans won't like it.

No comments: