Monday, April 13, 2009

The Chuckers take on the playoffs

Yesterday was the last day of the regular season so Amy and I decided to lay out our predictions for the playoffs. Eastern Conference today and Western Conference tomorrow (or Wednesday...)

So here we go!

Amy's predictions:

Because I have always lived on the West Coast, I never really had a chance to see a lot of the teams in the East except when the Canucks played them or on Hockey Night in Canada every Saturday night; so I never really had any loyalties to any team. This was until the advent of more cable channels to watch the hockey on; as well as the Internet which opened up a whole new world. However, I still only follow one team in the East and that is because they have had a few of my old school favorites on there; as well as they’ve developed a whole new crop of handsome and talented boys on their team. Oh, and their owner is not only tall, dark and Frenchly handsome...he could play a little puck in his day too.

But here are my picks for the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals….


Montreal Canadiens (93 Pts) 8th Boston Bruins (116 Pts) 1st

Regular Season Series: Boston wins 5 - 1 Oct 15: at Montreal 4, Boston 3 Nov 13: at Boston 6, Montreal 1 Nov 22: Boston 3, at Montreal 2 Jan 13: at Boston 3, Montreal 1 Feb 1: Boston 3, at Montreal 1 Apr 9: at Boston 5, Montreal 4

This go one of two extreme ways: the first, with Boston winning 5 of 6 games in this series, it could be a 4 game sweep. With both of their goalies having had amazing years and all but one of their players healthy; the thought of going up against the Bruins has to be wicked scary for the Habs who have been shaky at best the last few weeks. However, since three of the games were decided by 1 goal and another two were 3-1 differences; it might be closer than the season record looks.

I hope that since last year’s series was so damn close and so horribly exciting, this one is the same; but I have to say Boston in 5.


*****************************************************************************************************************
Washington Capitals (108 Pts) 2nd New York Rangers (95 Pts) 7th

Regular Season Series: Washington wins 3 - 1 Nov 8: at Washington 3, New York 1 Dec 23: Washington 5, at New York 4 Jan 3: at Washington 2, New York 1 Feb 11: at New York 5, Washington 4

I love this series if for no other reason than we might get to see Sean Avery bug the living shit out of Ovie and Semin then make Backstrom cry. The Craps do have a few guys that can try and keep him under control, but it won’t be easy. I also am curious to see how Jose handles the pressure of being the #1 in the playoffs after the not so great job he did last year in Denver.

I haven’t seen a lot of games with either team or against each other, but I’m going to have to go with my gut and say Craps in 5.

*******************************************************************************************************************
New Jersey Devils (106 Pts) 3rd Carolina Hurricanes (97 Pts) 6th

Regular Season Series: Carolina wins 3 - 1 Jan 6: at Carolina 3, New Jersey 2 Mar 18: at Carolina 4, New Jersey 2 Mar 28: Carolina 2, at New Jersey 1 Apr 11: at New Jersey 3, Carolina 2

This one, I really don’t care about… truly. But, at first glance, I think that I want to see the Devils out. I still have a little bit of hate left from the 2003 Finals and I’m always tired of hearing about Marty; but having the Canes out means one less team to be a contestant in the Staal brothers drinking game.

Throwing a dart at this one along with loving their mascot, I have to sway towards the Canes in 6.


************************************************************************************************************************
Philadelphia Flyers (99 Pts) 5th Pittsburgh Penguins (99 Pts) 4th

Regular Season Series: Pittsburgh wins 4 - 2 Oct 14: at Pittsburgh 3, Philadelphia 2 Nov 13: at Pittsburgh 5, Philadelphia 4 Dec 13: at Philadelphia 6, Pittsburgh 3 Jan 13: Pittsburgh 4, at Philadelphia 2 Feb 21: Pittsburgh 5, at Philadelphia 4 Mar 22: Philadelphia 3, at Pittsburgh 1

Okay… so, this has to be the one series I am most excited about in the East. Not only do I love Captain Steve and the Penguins; but because if this series is as great as the games were during the regular season, it’s gonna be quite a show. All I can hope is that Geno Malkin gets a chance to not only get a FU shot on French Toast again; but that we can see Scott Hartnell get his ass whupped by just about anyone.

So, not only am I thinking with my heart; but with my head and taking the Pens in 5.


Ok, now that we've heard Amy's picks, it's my turn! I was originally gonna set up a play off series in my Backyard Hockey Nintendo game but until I get the hang of it a little more, I think I'm gonna go with my brain/gut/guesses rather than my skills at a video gamer.

Lisa's predictions

Montreal Canadiens v Boston Bruins

Amy gives the Habs a shot at winning a game in this series but I'm gonna say this is the only sweep of the first round in the East. Boston just looks too good with Timmy in net and that baby eater of a captain they have. I'd like to see Montreal show up, but I think that even if they do, they will be out gunned in all areas.

Boston in 4


******************

Washington Capitals v New York Rangers

In my heart of hearts, I want to see this series going to 7 games, all of which are double or triple overtime. I want bodies banged up and bruises that last a long time. Watching the Rangers play yesterday in a game that Philly really wanted to win, they looked good (even without their captain). I dunno, this could be a tight series. It may come down to goaltending and I think King Henrik might have it.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Rangers in 6.


******************

New Jersey Devils v Carolina Hurricanes

Has there been a hotter team than the Hurricanes in the last few weeks? The Staal brothers drinking game aside, this is the series I think could go either way. The Devils know how to win in the playoffs and might have their losing streak out of the way, but Carolina could buzzsaw through them like they've done to a lot of teams lately. Coin toss series. Carolina has a plus in that Friend of Chuckers is a huge fan (and her other team didn't make it in so I'm going with the Canes).

Carolina in 5


******************

Philadelphia Flyers v Pittsburgh Penguins

Oh boy. This one could get sticky. Biron can steal a game but as Friend of Chuckers Lisa pointed out, Biron can get rattled. A lot has been said about Crosby and Malkin against Richards and Carter. My takes is that this series will boil down to defense (as in which defense can stop who). Free Candy, Scuds and Gonch can shut down a lot of fellas and LeGame can score a few on the rush. Plus the Pens have the Frenchies of SuperDuper and MadMax on their side.

Going with my heart here (because I really don't like the Flyers and hope Biron is with another team next year).

Pens in 6


******************

Now if I were you, I'd go run off to Vegas with these picks and place your bets. Granted, you will probably lose a lot of money, but that's the rub with gambling. Only bet what you can afford to lose, right?

The schedule is out and Wednesday is the day. We'll be glued to the tv/computer and watching the games. Full reports will most likely follow.

So for now, that's all.
Happy hockey!

7 comments:

Jenni said...

The only series in the East I'm uncertain of still is in fact the Washington/Rangers series. The Caps just seem SO DAMN COCKY these days... and I hate the dirty rangers, but I wouldn't mind seeing them take out the Crapitals...

My bracket is still not filled in, mostly cause there's a matchup in the West that my heart and head are fighting over...

Lisa said...

You too? Yeah, I think I know which one you are talking about. :( Go with you heart. Why not!

Jenni said...

Stupid wings! I think the Jackets could in theory take them, but it's going to be tough. They split the reg. season, but obviously, the dirty wings have more "experience."

Lisa said...

I'm doing two brackets for Lisa's pool and darn it, I have the Jackets winning in my second one! :)

Are you around today? I might e-mail you!

Jenni said...

I want the Jackets to win, and I think they COULD, so I should just go with my heart and pick them in Lisa's pool!

I'm here till about 12:30... then I have to go to work.

TheNWChica said...

Go Jackets and FatNash and Commie! Woooooo!

Lisa said...

He's NOT FAT! He's cherubic! ;)