Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Chuckers take on the playoffs, part 2

We looked at the Eastern Conference yesterday and today we'll look at the West. Shock and awe baby, shock and awe.

Amy's predictions:

Being 2 hours south of the Canadian border and due north from Los Angeles, it was only natural that I would gravitate not only to a Western Conference team; but also the Vancouver Canucks. What is odd about this is that I started out my hockey life as an Oiler fan since my first hockey boyfriends were from the Oilers. It wasn’t until 1989 that I really began to follow the Canucks and that was because of a skinny young man from Medicine Hat, Alberta who had been drafted as the second pick overall; and I’ve believed in Towel Power ever since.

Detroit Red Wings (112 Pts) 2nd Columbus Blue Jackets (92 Pts) 7th

Regular Season Series: Tied 3 - 3 Nov 28: at Detroit 5, Columbus 3 Jan 6: at Detroit 3, Columbus 0 Jan 27: at Columbus 3, Detroit 2 Feb 13: at Columbus 3, Detroit 2 Mar 7: Columbus 8, at Detroit 2 Mar 15: Detroit 4, at Columbus 0

This series is one of those where the winner cannot be chosen in any other way other than close your eyes and throw a dart. The season series was tied, but a majority of the games were won by three or more goals; so that isn’t really helping. Add to this as well are the Red Wings nearly winning the President’s Cup; but the BlueJackets storming down the last part of the season with some real purpose. And to top it all off, they’re division rivals and know the other well.

I’m gonna have to say it’s going to go long; but I feel that given a few bounces as well as having a couple of Cup winners and Cup finalists on their team, Ricky Nash and Co. can take it in 7.

*********************************************************************

Chicago Blackhawks (104 Pts) 4th Calgary Flames (98 Pts) 5th

Regular Season Series: Chicago wins 4 - 0 Nov 9: at Chicago 6, Calgary 1 Dec 19: Chicago 3, at Calgary 2 Jan 4: at Chicago 5, Calgary 2 Feb 5: Chicago 5, at Calgary 2

No thought needed for this one…. The Flames got their asses handed to them this season by Johnny Dakota and PKane; and I would be so very excited for them to do it again, especially since I hate their coach with every fiber of my being. Hawks in 4.
*********************************************************************************

San Jose Sharks (117 Pts) 1st Anaheim Ducks (91 Pts) 8th

Regular Season Series: San Jose wins 4 - 2 Oct 9: at San Jose 4, Anaheim 1 Oct 17: at Anaheim 4, San Jose 0 Dec 11: at San Jose 2, Anaheim 0 Mar 15: San Jose 1, at Anaheim 0 Apr 4: Anaheim 5, at San Jose 2 Apr 5: San Jose 3, at Anaheim 2

Now we come to the first of the two series that mean something to me. I’ve been a Ducks fan for about 10 years and I’ve been with them all the way since then. One thing about being a Ducks fan is that you’ve done some crying in the playoffs: most of all in 2003 when they had no business being in the playoffs, let alone storming through to the Finals but were beat by a big and tough Devils team; then we cried with Teemu, Pronger and Robbie Nieds as they finally won that big shiny thing in ’07. I know there are guys on the Sharkies that have never won one either like Barfight Joe and PattyMarleau; but I have to go with my heart and say that I think the Ducks are coming together just at the right time to pull off this upset.

So, I say it’s going to be Les Canards in 7 long and hard fought games.

****************************************************************************************

Vancouver Canucks (100 Pts) 3rd St. Louis Blues (92 Pts) 6th

Regular Season Series: Tied 2 - 2 Jan 9: St. Louis 6, at Vancouver 4 Feb 10: Vancouver 6, at St. Louis 4 Mar 19: at Vancouver 3, St. Louis 0 Mar 26: at St. Louis 4, Vancouver 2

The #1 hockey loves of my life other than my baby boys, the boys on Robson Street, have had a really crazy season this year; and I’m still a little in awe of how they managed to get to this place. Not only are they in the playoffs, but they won their division and are the third seed. *squees* 3 months ago, this club was in the depths of a crazy bad slump and were slowly sinking into Horseshoe Bay; but, something miraculous happened. It’s sort of like finally finding that last corner of the 1000 piece puzzle; the boys in blue found out how to win and they kept winning. However, in the four games against the Boos, those boys either had a really good game or a really bad one; but at least they were able to actually win a couple this year.

So, to make a long story longer, even though the Boos have been playing out of their minds the last few weeks, so have the Canucks; and I think it’s going to catch up with St. Louie. I have to go with my head and my gut to pick the Canucks in 6.


Hmmm, she's got some interesting picks there.

Lisa's Predictions:

Detroit Red Wings v Columbus Blue Jackets

Ugh first up is the toughest for me. My Wings. My Team. But I really enjoy the Jackets play (not to mention hubba hubba Ricky Nash). It's tough. On paper, the Wings are probably the better team but the last time I checked, the games were not played on paper, but on ice and that's where anything can happen. There have been too many playoff years where the 'better' Detroit team was out in the first round.

The Jackets have a chance in this one - they bring a lot to the rink and could do some damage against another team. But I think that the Wings have a little too much experience and talent for the Jackets to overcome.

Wings in 6

*********************************************************************

Chicago Blackhawks v Calgary Flames


I'm with Amy on this one but I think the Flames can win one at home with the crowd they have. Maybe not a sweep for the windy city boys but darn close.

Hawks in 5

*********************************************************************************

San Jose Sharks v Anaheim Ducks

This is gonna be the one to watch I think - too bad I will miss most of it being in the Eastern time zone. These two teams have played each other pretty tough and this could go long. In fact, I think it will. But Unlike Amy, I think the Sharks will pull it off.

Sharks in 7

****************************************************************************************

Vancouver Canucks v St. Louis Blues

I watched a lot of Blues games down the stretch (Thank you Center Ice) and really got a feel for 'em. They've lost a lot of key guys (including Chucker Favorite, Eric Brewer) for long stretches of time. Rumors of Paulie Kariya coming back only boost this young talented team.

But the thing is, they are going to be facing one of the best keepers in the league. It could be tough, but I'm gonna pitch this as my upset in the West.

Blues in 6


Again, rush off to Vegas with these picks! Just don't complain to us if you lose your shirt.

For a fun read, check out Empty Netters playoff beard preview. Good calls on all of 'em (especially Chuckers favs Mad Max and SuperDuper of the Pens).

It's raining here today which hardly feels like the eve of the playoffs, but the draft lottery is tonight. The Islanders lead the pack of the downtrodden with the best chance to get the number one pick. Personally? I'm hoping for Colorado to get it to pay off for their lousy season.

Until next time! Happy Hockey and enjoy the playoffs.

No comments: