Monday, August 24, 2009

Roasting Heatley

Lemme first get this out. I do not like Dany Heatley (or the Sens but that's a different post for a different time). I think the biggest reason is that if you kill someone, you should be punished a little more than bad dreams. Now that is out of the way, it looks like I'm not alone in my "dislike" stance. There were three articles over at Slam this weekend echoing my thoughts on the current situation:

No. 15 is your classic finger-pointer. It’s never his fault. His point totals have dropped by 33 in the last two seasons. He’s gone from being a 50-goal scorer to a 39-goal scorer. Why? Gotta be Cory Clouston. Gotta be that he’s playing two or three minutes less per game, and only half of power plays. It’s not Dany Boy.

In his own words, Dany Heatley has confirmed there are no hidden plots and that he is, indeed, the validated self-serving selfish jerk, authenticated me-me-me man with the astonishing sense of entitlement, certified coach killer and confirmed cancer he's been painted to be.

No longer known chiefly for his efforts with Team Canada or the fact he's a two-time 50-goal scorer who deserves to be one of the NHL's highest paid snipers, Heatley is now seen by the public as the poster boy for selfish athletes.

Yes, they are all bashing Heatley for his public trade debacle but you know what? All of what they say is true. I expect this sort of stuff from baseball or basketball (or heck even football), but unless your name is Keith Tkachuk, hockey players just don't do this sort of thing (and before anyone jumps on me, Tkachuk, not once but several times held out on a signed contract to have it re-worked. I'm sure there are others, but sue me, it's early and my morning started off not by going to physical therapy like I was supposed to, but calling maintenance because my stupid front door wouldn't lock from the outside).

Heatley wants people to know that he's not a bad guy, he's just in a bad spot. He makes it clear that this is nothing like the bad spot he was in while he played in Atlanta, this time it's totally different. What I think Heatley fails to understand is that Atlanta, though it still irritated many a hockey fan, was at least mildly understandable.

Ottawa, where he makes the most on the team, is a club that signed him in good faith to play for a boat load of money for several years. Now he wants out. Over playing time. This just smacks of Allen Iverson asking why practice was so important.

Can you imagine anyone in the Sens room wanting to see him pull on the same sweater? Bitching about playing time and your 'diminished role' on a team will win you no favors.

A few years ago, I heard the very quotable Brendan Shanahan say in jest, "There is no I in team but there is an M and a E."

Thanks Heatley for just making that statement seem more and more like the truth.

6 comments:

Jenni said...

Heatley's picture should be next to DOUCHE in the dictionary!

Lisa said...

hey I know that gnome! And I totally agree. Seriously, wasn't there a better way to do ask for a trade?

His playing time in Edmonton would be probably over 30 if he could handle it!

Jenni said...

I would have SCREAMED if Edmonton ended up stuck with him. Seriously. My allegiance might have left that team!

And... I think my gnome might be officially MIA. I only have the Jovo look alike now... not nearly the same!

Lisa said...

oh I know you would have...and I'm sorry one of your teams was actually tied up in that mess. One of the articles said that Heatley basically wants free agency. What a tool.

NOOO! not MIA! :(

TheNWChica said...

We're talking about practice. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about practice. Hee hee hee!

Lisa said...

You need more exasperation in there...PRACTICE! we're talking about PRACTICE!

And love you for getting that reference :)